Headaches are a common health condition many people suffer from at some point in their lives. It can range from a mild, dull ache lasting for a few hours or days to a severe throbbing pain accompanied by nausea.
Tension headaches are the most common, appearing anywhere in the neck, head, or scalp due to stress and back or neck pain. Migraines are chronic and throbbing pain-causing debilitating pain and sensitivity to the environment, lasting from a few hours to a few days.
The first option you think for pain relief is an over-the-counter pain reliever.
However, there are actually other more effective natural treatments that exist.
Chiropractic care- a natural remedy for headache relief
Chiropractic care is a natural, safe and drug-free option for various types of headaches.
It’s because most headaches have a connection with the cervical spine and neck. The tension and stress that accumulates in the upper spine and across the shoulder can increase the pressure and tension on the nerves around your head and face, this triggers a headache.
As chiropractic adjustments improve acute and chronic neck pain, the process reduces the number and type of headaches you experience.
We use a targeted methodology to adjust your spine alignment and improve your spinal function while alleviating stress on the nervous system. It helps your body function normally while reducing the risk of stress and tension that leads to headaches.
We may also use a wedge-shaped tool called a cervical wedge to reduce headaches. You have to lie down on your back with the wedge under your neck. The pressure created helps take tension off your neck nerves, and molds and shapes the cervical spine for better support and stability.
We adjust the wedge based on your height, age, and size. First time, It may be difficult to handle the pressure the wedge exerts on the back because of the accumulated stress in the neck region.
However, the discomfort reduces as you get used to the wedge. As the tension releases, we slowly increase the duration of treatment and wedge added.
Finding the root cause of headaches helps
In addition to manipulations and a wedge, our team also understands your triggers and helps find the root cause for headaches. The common causes for headache pain are:
- Some foods like peanuts, soya sauce and too much caffeine
- Extended hours at a computer or looking at the phone
- Environmental noise or light
Lifestyle modifications also help in preventing headaches
Once we ascertain which foods or environmental triggers cause headaches, we advise few small lifestyle modifications to avoid the triggers. They include:
- Drinking water helps as dehydration can lead to tension headaches and migraines.
- Reducing alcohol consumption as alcohol can lead to dehydration and consequent headaches.
- Getting sufficient sleep. The chances of getting frequent and severe headaches are higher if you don’t get at least six hours of sound sleep at night.
- Avoiding foods containing histamine like aged cheese, wine, fermented food, cured meats, and smoked fish if you are sensitive to the chemical.
- Applying essential oils like peppermint oil on the temples has therapeutic benefits that help reduce tension headaches.
- Applying a cold or frozen compress to the neck or head area helps reduce headache symptoms by reducing inflammation and nerve conduction, and constricting blood vessels.
- Sipping beverages which contain caffeine provides headache relief by improving mood, alertness, and constricting blood vessels. However, consuming excessive caffeine and suddenly stopping it can cause headaches.
- Avoiding strong smells like perfumes and cleaning products that trigger headaches.
- Exercising. Exercises help you relax, and reduces headache frequency and severity.
- The next time you get a headache, don’t pop a painkiller. Call our office Revolution Health Centre and schedule an appointment with Dr. Oscar Noriega