How a Visit to the Chiropractor Can Help You to Sleep Better
Sleep problems can occur due to several factors. The pain appears to be a major contributor to sleep disturbances. According to an NCBI study, over 54% of adults suffer from spine discomfort, while over 38 million Americans suffer from migraines and chronic headaches. Restorative sleep may also be hampered by sleep disorders such as insomnia and sleep apnea.
People frequently look for new mattresses or cushions to help them sleep better. Others experiment with new diets or workout regimes. Consulting your Murfreesboro chiropractor, on the other hand, is an alternative. Regular chiropractic care may resolve some of the concerns you’re having with getting a good night’s sleep.
Now let’s look at some common sleep disorders and how a visit to the chiropractor can help manage them and help you sleep better.
Insomnia is the inability to fall or stay asleep. Jet lag, emotional stress, hormonal imbalance, or digestive issues can all contribute. It might also be an indication of something else.
Insomnia may be detrimental to your general health and wellbeing, ultimately resulting in symptoms such as:
- Trouble sleeping at night
- Waking up in the middle of the night
- Getting out of bed too early
- Not feeling refreshed after a good night’s sleep
- Exhaustion or drowsiness during the day
- Lack of energy, despair, or anxiety
- Trouble paying attention, concentrating on activities, or recalling information
- Increase in mistakes or accidents
Insomnia is often categorized into three types:
- Chronic. When insomnia occurs consistently for at least one month.
- Intermittent. Insomnia happens regularly.
- Transient. When insomnia only seems to last a few nights at a time.
Sleep apnea is indicated by interruptions in breathing while sleeping. This is a dangerous medical disorder in which the body consumes less oxygen. It can also trigger getting up in the middle of the night.
There are two kinds of sleep apnea:
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), in which breathing is interrupted because the trachea is partially blocked or too narrow.
- Central sleep apnea (CSA), in which there is an issue with the link between the brain and the muscle groups that regulate respiration.
The following are the most prevalent indications of obstructive and central sleep apneas:
- Audible and loud snoring
- Difficulties falling asleep (insomnia)
- Dry mouth and headache in the morning
- Severe drowsiness during the day (hypersomnia)
- Sleep-related incidents in which breathing temporarily ceases
- Struggling to breathe while sleeping
- Trouble staying up and concentrating
How Does Pain Contribute to Poor Sleep?
Pain can lead to poor sleep and vice-versa by reducing the body’s pain tolerance. However, if you can get proper sleep, the discomfort decreases with time. Discomfort in the back, neck, hips, and thighs can make it difficult to feel at ease and rest. Good sleep necessitates a particular level of comfort and ease, and pain frequently prevents the body from achieving that condition. As a result, pain interferes with your tendency to fall and remain asleep.
How Chiropractic Care Helps
If you suffer from severe pain, seeing your Murfreesboro chiropractor might help you sleep easier and longer. After getting regular chiropractic manipulation, our patients often enjoy less discomfort and more pain-free life.
Chiropractic therapy can aid in the treatment of sleep disorders by:
- Reducing muscular tension, which creates agitation
- Rejuvenating the body
- Eliminating pain and soreness
- Enhancing blood circulation
- Optimizing the performance of the nervous system
After a comprehensive assessment, our Murfreesboro chiropractor may also advise you on:
- better sleeping postures
- postural activities
- a comfortable mattress
- an ergonomic pillow and cushion
Chiropractic care can aid in the treatment of common sleep problems such as insomnia and sleep apnea.
Chiropractic care for insomnia
Patients seeking assistance with insomnia will initially be thoroughly examined to determine the cause of their sleep disturbance. When supplemented with other therapeutic techniques, chiropractic therapy can be utilized to alleviate insomnia.
Chiropractors can repair subluxations, or spinal displacements, with specific treatments. High-velocity, low-amplitude (HVLA) manipulation may treat joint problems. This non-invasive and drug-free treatment efficiently relieves pain and enhances sleep quality. Patients get rapid pain relief and musculoskeletal relaxation. Subluxation correction can help alleviate insomnia by harmonizing dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain.
Chiropractic care for sleep apnea
Apneas can make it hard to sleep through the night without interruptions. If left unchecked, it can damage the brain due to a lack of oxygen and lead to a variety of other major health problems. Chiropractic therapy can correct subluxations and displacements caused by injury, bad posture, or reduced physical activity. The objective is to address neck and torso misalignments that may impair breathing or lead to airway obstruction.
Your Murfreesboro chiropractors may use soft tissue massage and spinal adjustments to release muscle tension, alleviate stress, and encourage regular breathing. We may also suggest breathing exercises to promote good breathing patterns while reinforcing the soft tissues that trigger snoring and apneas.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Because of colic, some newborns are very fussy and have difficulty sleeping through the night. Chiropractors ascribe these issues to spinal misalignment, and appropriate adjustment can help the infant sleep much better throughout the night.
Along with consulting a chiropractor, you may treat your lack of sleep in a variety of ways:
- Change your sleeping posture to encourage a more pleasant night’s sleep
- Examine your present sleeping habits and seek ways to enhance your sleep hygiene
- If your budget permits, you may invest in a new mattress or chiropractic pillow to get a more satisfying sleeping habit
- Look for mattresses that are mainly designed to relieve back and shoulder discomfort
- Increase your physical activity to improve your sleep and lessen general body discomfort
Your Murfreesboro chiropractor provides specialized chiropractic care for sleep issues. For more details on how chiropractic therapy can help you sleep better, make an appointment with Revolution Chiropractic Murfreesboro. Our chiropractors help patients get a better night’s sleep and the rest they need to live well. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.